I P.I.C.K. System



We still continue to excel in our Daily 5 morning routine. We added a few new books this week. One being from the Harry Potter series. We were happy to see many excited kiddos who wanted to get their hands on it , but it did make us pause and review the Daily 5 " I PICK" system. 



A few weeks back we introduced I PICK and it seemed to help a huge majority switch out their books in their book baskets with books that were more readable . 


I showed the kiddos 3 sizes of shoes. I would put one on ( too big)and run unsuccessfully around the class. Then I put on another shoe ( too small) and tried to run around the classroom , unsuccessfully .  Finally the     " just right" shoe was put on me and I could easily sprint around the class. This demonstration not only gave me a good workout but more importantly taught the kiddos that they needed to find their own " just right" books to be successful with reading.


We talked about I-PICK as well as the "Five Finger Rule". We introduced the "Five Finger Rule" when it came to the last letter- Knowing all of the words. We used some whole brain based learning by using hand movements :

  • When I read a book (hands open like a book), I open to any page and start to read.
  • When I come to a tricky word (hands up on either side of your body and shrugging your shoulders), I put up a finger
  • 0-1 fingers (hold up a fist, then the index finger) is too easy (brush our hands off to the side)
  • 2-3 fingers (hold up 2, then 3 fingers) is Just Right (hold up two thumbs up)
  • 4-5 fingers (hold up 4, then 5 fingers) is too tricky (hold up both hands in front of us like "stop" or "slow down")

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard..... The complete sentence!

Olympics lesson through GOOGLE CLASSROOM

CAUSE and EFFECT